MillenniumPost
Delhi

No respite from the summer heat: City to face 6-7 hr long power cuts

BSES-owned power distribution companies have begun six to seven hour-long power cuts in its areas, under the garb of ‘maintenance’. Scheduled power cuts in areas where Reliance- owned BSES are in operation are much higher than those in Tata Power-owned firm.

As per the electricity outage schedule declared by power distribution companies, the city faced power cuts in 261 areas, of which 91 areas faced black outs for seven hours on Tuesday. Out of those areas, 89 were under the jurisdiction of BSES-owned, BYPL and BRPL. Similarly 30 areas in the city faced six hours of power outages, of which 28 were under the jurisdiction of BSES, while only two were under TPDDL.

Delhi is expected to witness a peak power demand of 6100 Mega Watt in the first fortnight of June during the summer. Principal secretary (Power) Arun Goyal on Tuesday said that Delhi met peak load of 4090 MW on 28 April this year at 15.33 hrs during which the generation within the national capital was 649 MW and withdrawal from central sector stations (including bilateral arrangements) was 3441 MW.

Interestingly, the scheduled power cuts in the city are declared for maintenance purposes. However, power outage hours are much higher in areas under the jurisdiction of Reliance- owned companies than those under the Tata power-owned company. Severely affected areas due to scheduled power cuts on Tuesday were Palam, Vikaspuri, Saket, RK Puram, Karawal Nagar, Karkardooma, Nehru Place, Shankar Vihar, Mayur Vihar, Sarita Vihar, Punjabi Bagh, Khanpur, etc.

Power companies have announced power cuts in 180 areas on Wednesday and most of them in BYPL and BRPL areas, which will face six to seven hours of electricity outages. TPDDL has announced power cuts in fewer areas and for shorter durations from mostly one to three hours.

On 1 May, power companies have announced scheduled outages in 85 areas. These areas will face power cuts up to six to seven hours. Interestingly, the same areas will face longer power cuts under scheduled outages.  ‘It seems power companies are taking refuge under scheduled maintenance. We have seen such schedule power cuts last year too,’ said NN Mishra, RWA president in Mayur Vihar.

No tariff hike till audit of discoms is completed: BJP

New Delhi:
BJP on Tuesday urged Lieutenant Governor of Delhi not to allow increase in power tariff or surcharge until the CAG audit of power distribution companies is completed and the report submitted to the government.

‘Power companies are recovering Rs. 273.11 extra every 30 days from a power consumer who consumes only 184 units of power in a month. These companies are looting the consumers with both hands and even after this they are demanding hike in power tariff,’ Delhi BJP president Harsh Vardhan said.

He said that previously the companies used to serve bill for the period of 60 days, adding that the consumer then had to pay fixed charge, PPAC charge, surcharge, electricity tax, late payment charge etc. once in 60 days. ‘Firstly, the companies started serving bills for a period of 45 days and now with the connivance of the Government and DERC, bills for power consumption are being served for every 30 days.

‘This way, a consumer, who used to pay additional charges like fixed charge, late payment fee etc. for a period of 60 days has now been compelled to pay such charges every 30 days.

This is injustice with the consumers of Delhi,’ the BJP leader said. The Delhi BJP president also said that at the time of privatisation, the power theft in Delhi was 53 per cent, which has come down to 13 to 15 per cent. ‘The companies earned Rs 300 crore annually on preventing 1 per cent power theft. There was the provision in the privatisation agreement that this benefit will be shared with consumers. But the consumers have not been provided any benefit.  The power tariff should be decreased and not hiked,’ he said.
Next Story
Share it